- Butter, for pans
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for pans
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
- 3 cups grated carrots
- 1 1/2 cups chopped pecans, optional
- 2 (8-ounce) packages cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 stick salted butter, room temperature
- 1 (16-ounce) box powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour 3 (9-inch) round pans; Line bottom of the pans with parchment paper.
In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. Add eggs and vegetable oil. Using a hand mixer, blend until combined. Add carrots and pecans, if using.
Pour into pans. Bake for approximately 40 minutes. Remove from oven and cool for 5 minutes. Remove from pans, place on waxed paper and allow to cool completely before frosting.
For the frosting:
Add all ingredients, except nuts, into a medium bowl and beat until fluffy using a hand mixer. Stir in the nuts. Spread frosting on top of each cake layer. Stack the cakes on a serving plate and serve.